Part of the Crafty Cat “Around the Island in Cross Stitch” series counted cross-stitch kits.
The patron of the cathedral, St German of Man (not to be confused with Germanus of Auxerre), was a Celtic missionary and holy man who lived from about 410 to 474. St German’s Day is celebrated each year on 13 July.
The original cathedral of St German was inside the walls of Peel Castle and was built sometime in the 12th century when St Patrick’s Isle was in the possession of Norse kings. At that time the church followed the Sarum Rite, prevalent throughout much of the British Isles. Around 1333 the Lords of Man refortified St Patrick’s Isle and occupied the church as a fortress. In 1392 William Le Scroop repaired the cathedral.
The building fell into ruin in the 18th century. After a considerable period of debate over who owned the ruins and site, it was decided not to rebuild that cathedral. The present building was constructed in 1879–84 to replace St Peter’s Church in Peel’s market place.
This cross stitch pack is a pictorial representation of St German’s Cathedral.
The design chart is printed on A4 sheets and includes full instructions and needle.
St German’s Cathedral 10 3/4″ x 7″ : 27cm x 18cm on Zweigart, 100% cotton Ecru Aida and contains Madeira Mouliné embroidery threads.
The package will be posted signed for.